Brute force detection (BFD) is an application tool that assists in the prevention of brute force attacks that take place on the dedicated server. Brute force attack is usually utilized to achieve root admission to your server by utilizing the password guessing technology. Brute force detection will identify the numerous attempts to login in and avert the attackers from increasing into brute force attacks.
Prior to installation of BFD, you must set up APF firewall on your server. BFD performs in conjunction with APF to provide you a complete security solution. In order to install BFD successfully you need to follow the guide below :
- Ensure that you login to the server through SSH and develop into the root.
- Proceed and make a temporary directory to stock up files that you have downloaded.
- You can then download BFD from the rfx networks
- Change to the latest directory and after unpacking archives that have been compressed.
- You can now implement file installation.
Make sure that you study the relevant documentation for details regarding configurations of your applications using APF firewall regulations. You can proceed by running the program after configuring it to your liking. Brute force detection is an open source, effective and free modular shell scrip that offers security solutions.
Benefits of installing BFD
- The shell scrip is for the checking for authenticity of failures as well as parsing application logs. It performs this using the rules systems in which storing of specific options of the system takes place. This encompasses regular expressions for every auth format that is unique. Regular expressions are generally parsed against logs with a sed tool. This permits exceptional performance in diverse environments.
- BFD utilizes the log tracking system so that logs are parsed from the last point in which they were read. This greatly helps in further extension of BFD performance given that reading a similar log data is hardly constant.
- Log tracking system is highly compatible with the log rotate and syslog style log rotations that enable it detect whenever rotations happen. It also facilitates grabbing of log tails from log files that have been rotated as well as new log files.
- BFD comes with a number of tools like the raw iptables, shorewall, APF and iproute to block attackers and execute the custom command. It features an email alerting system that is customizable and suitable for everyday use. You can handle the BFD attacker tracking by utilizing easy flat text files. The files are size controlled to avoid space constraints over some time.